I’m sitting in the guest bed at Jen Payne’s house right now watching the sunrise and dreaming of our upcoming time together. Yummmmm…..
Here’s all (most?) of the info you’ll need for the retreat. Please note there are lots of things I need to know, and they are bolded. So grab a cuppa and open up an email so you can answer my queries as you go. I appreciate your response as I’m horrible at tracking down odds and ends, so ya’ll will really need to take responsibilty for letting me know what you need, how you can help, and what info you’re missing, kay?
Here’s everything I can think of ….
We will have a “rolling start” from 1pm at my parent’s house, Pura Vida. We’ll have lunch and drinks on the deck, and four of us can set sail on The Lady Penelope. (More sailing to follow!) At 3pm we can check in to the Retreat House (on the other side of the cove). We’ll be sharing queen beds so if you have a bunk mate in mind let me know. If anyone feels like they really want their own bed, there is a single captains bed at the top of the stairs. So if you want to snore alone, but don’t mind not being behind closed doors, please let me know.
Food and Drink
Jolie Guillebeau is organizing our meals. The menu is fresh, yummy and vegetarian, with protein options. If you have special dietary needs, please email Jolie.
To stock our mini bar, please bring a couple bottles of vino, the makings of your favorite cocktail, or your favorite beverage. Also, please bring a snack to share.
In the mornings we will have time to ourselves to work on a personal project or just relax. Sunday morning the remaining sisters will be able to go on a sail. There is also a row boat and kayaks for our use, and of course HOT TUB! If you need to spread your project out, there is a craft room at the rental. If you need to bring some sort of special supplies, just check with your driver about luggage space.
Hostess with the Mostest
We are operating on the Sacred Commerce & Giant Pool of Wisdom model, which means everything we are doing on the retreat is based on what you shared in your hopes and bios. If you can host one of the following things, please let me know. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Remember fast and dirty is the way to success! (Plus, you know, it sounds sau-cy!) And please, if you just need to rest and to not have one single responsibility this weekend, we want you to do that. We need you to do that. If you don’t do that right now, when we are starting out as a tribe, then we won’t have “permission” to do that when its our turn to just float. Trust your intuition. (The Muse, she is very smart.)
- Share Something Gorgeous Hour: I bet if you looked at our Guiding Values, every single one of us would have “Creativity” and/or “Beauty” on that list. So lets start out Saturday night with a show-and-tell of all things gorgeous. Read a poem, pass around a photo, tell us a story, sing us something, or put a favorite song on the CD player and let us all lay on the floor listening to it with our eyes closed — whatever feels beautiful and sumptuous to you. It can be something you created, or something you just love. If there’s some way to share that thing with us as a take away — burn the song on a CD, print the photo on your color printer–then please bring a copy for each soulsister (9). We’ll create our own swag bags! But please remember this is a retreat, not a who-can-be-the-most-complicated-and-creative contest. Keep it simple my loves! If you can be the hostess for Share Something Gorgeous, please let me know.
- Teach Ins: A couple of themes are emerging as we chat about our hopes and bios.1) We need a place to belong, or perhaps more precisely, to accept that we already belong.
2) We need ongoing help to name-and-claim our identities as creative beings and/or
3) We need with the YBH (‘yes, but how) — finding and taking the next step with our creative projects, novel, business plan, etc. We can all write our Mondo Beyond dream list, but do we know how to jump off the diving board and into our dream?
I know we won’t find the answers to all of these big themes in one weekend, but I am fully confident that we can find a break through or two in the Giant Pool of Wisdeom. So let’s play around with these themes with some old skool teach-ins.
Lisa has offered to do something on “saying what you mean and meaning what you say” which will help us all stand in our own power and self-define what it is that we are going for. That means we have one space left for another teach-in. Please let me know if an idea is brewing in you for the second afternoon slot. Teach-in hosts will get a litte discount from their retreat fee as a thank-you for the advance prep work. And if we need to pitch in to cover teach-in supplies, the hostesses with the mostesses will let us know.
- The Feedback Circle: Monday night there will be an opportunity to have the sister’s look at a project you are working on and get feedback. This can range from having us read and offer our two cents on the first pages of your novel to whispering the dream you have in your head so we can all say “Yes, that’s real. I heard that!” Maybe we can unstick a few blocks and help some new things get born. We need someone to host his time together, please let me know if this sounds like it’s for you.
- Keep in Touch: Finally, on Tuesday morning over breakfast and before check out (11am), I’d like to spend a little time talking about how we can keep in touch and continue to support each other long-distance, and when we’d like to meet IRL again. I certainly don’t know exactly what the future holds, but one thing I know for sure is “there ain’t nowhere to go but together.” If you’ve got a knack for listening to what folks are saying and distilling a plan of action, please let me know that you could host this time together.
What to Pack
Just a word here on life in the Northwest. The island is beautiful but can get chilly. Bring something warm for your toes and a light rain jacket and/or fleece if you want to wander. It can be shorts weather, but you will also want a pair of jeans. And don’t forget your swimsuit for the hot tub. (Unless you are comfy with being au naturel.) Other than the food and drink items listed above, and the item for the Share Something Gorgeous Hour you won’t need much but the journals and art supplies you’d like to have on hand.
Odds and Ends
I’ll be using some of our retreat fees to purchase a small thank-you gift for our lovely co-hosts, my parents. If you sell a product that you think would be a good fit, please let me know. In the spirit of Sacred Commerce, I’d be happy to share the wealth within the circle.
Oh, and just FYI, I’m planning this retreat on a break-even model, so that it’s easy for others to replicate, and so that no one is making profit at the expense of the others. On the off-chance that we have any funds left at the end of the event, I’ll send you some change or offer to donate our excess to chairty.
If you haven’t received a questioneer from Jennifer McGuiggan asking for your basic contact info, a bio and a photo, please email her. Also, I’m putting up the rest of the Meet the Soulsisters every other day or so on the blog. Please stop by and say hello, and/or ask your sisters a follow up get-to-know you question. Be forewarned, if you haven’t sent Jennifer or I a photo, I will gleefully cop one off your website or pull one from my digital hoard. :-)
Okay my sistahs, I think that’s it. Please say “I can do it!” in the comments, and ask questions or make suggestions. I’m looking forward to seeing you all very soon!